Saturday, July 12, 2008
A "PJ Dress"
I've been so busy crafting for the shop that I've fallen behind on my regular mommy crafting. So, to make up for it I spent the afternoon making Brodi some new pjs. She requested not just any pjs but a "PJ Dress". I let her pick the fabric for it from my stash of flannel that I save for such occasions. She picked this cute mermaid print that I picked up at Joann probably two years ago for $1 a yard. They have some really great sales sometimes and I like to stock up when they do. (It drives my husband nuts!) But hey, when the kid wants new pjs I always have fabric on hand! I also had the pattern, ribbon and bias tape on hand so horray for using up the stash. The pattern is Simplicity 5118. Patterns are another thing I tend to stock up on. Joann and Hancock both have occasional $1 pattern sales and I get as many as they allow. The only thing I really changed about the pattern was the binding around the armholes. I used double-fold bias instead of single and instead of sewing the sleeves on before sewing on the binding I did it the other way around. I wanted to be able to see the contrasting binding all the way around the armhole instead of just under the pits. I also shortened the length so it would be a little cooler to wear in the summer. The pattern was super easy even for my very meager sewing skills and it only took about 2 and half hours from start to finish, not bad! The munchkin is pleased as punch, which is the most important thing.