Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Kid's Clothes Tutorials and Inspiration


Hi all! I'm deep in the thick of sewing for my kiddlets over here. Kid's Clothes Week doesn't officially kick off until next week but since I have two little girls to sew for I'm creating my own two week challenge. This week is being devoted to making clothes for my big girl, who's turning 6 next month. (Where does the time go!?) She's the challenging one because she's started forming her own opinions about what she likes to wear and what she "will get laughed at" for. It's sad that already at 6 there's peer pressure to have "cool clothes". I may be weird but I can't stand clothes with big giant brands on them or how on so many kid's items they slap licensed characters on them to appeal to the kids. It drives me nuts. I've noticed that really avoiding that stuff lately and just giving my girl basics, she's developing this awesome sense of style that's all her own. It's quirky and colorful and I love it! We've had numerous lengthy discussions about color choices and styles. I think the list of what I'm making should all be winners and I can't wait to share them with you at the end of the week!

I had originally planned to do a little roundup of some of the free tutorials that I've found lately but when I hopped over to the Elsie Marley blog yesterday she's done just that thing. And she's done it really beautifully! So, I thought I would just point you to her site for loads of gorgeous inspiration. Not just for girls but for boys too! So check it out and get inspired!

1 comment:

  1. It's a little bit silly but I've been avoiding your comment section. Not because you haven't had a lot of really great stuff worth commenting on but because I hadn't figured out what I could leave for a recipe contribution. I'm pretty good in the kitchen so I was really annoyed that I couldn't think of anything to send that was quintessentially spring for me. Until my rhubarb came up in the garden. Then I remembered my favourite spring recipe. Strawberry-Rhubarb jam. This is how I make it. In a large pot I mix together:
    3 lbs of cut strawberries and rhubarb combined. Usually half and half but it doesn't really matter.

    3 cups of sugar

    1/4 cup of lemon juice

    1 vanilla bean split, seeds scraped into the pot and bean discarded

    Mix all of the ingredients over low heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Bring the heat up to medium-high and boil, stirring often, until the mixture reaches 220˚F. Transfer to hot, sterile jars with 1/4 inch of space at the top. If any jars don't pop and seal properly just pop them in the fridge to use right away. The rest can be enjoyed all year for a quick taste of spring.

    I'm really looking forward to seeing what you've been sewing up. If their outfits are anything like those links, they'll be adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are always, always welcome. Just know that I appreciate each and every one of you even if I don't always have the chance to respond.