Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Kids Clothes Week - Day 2

I've been wanting to try making some of these super cute reconstructed kids tees for ages but I've been a) terrified of working with knits, b) terrified of non-pattern sewing and c) too busy. Since I had a full evening last night to myself (yay for the mr.'s band practice nights!) I thought "what the heck, I'll give it a shot". I have a tub full of thrifted tees and knit scraps, so I just went for it and to my great surprise it turned out better than expected! My sewing is still a little wonky, I'm still working on not pulling the knit while sewing but for the most part I was able to iron out any puckering. I started by cutting of the sleeves and collar. Then I cut the diagonal section out to make it look like a raglan style shirt. I used the pieces I cut as templates to cut new pieces and it worked perfectly. My only wish is that I had, had a few more knits in girly colors to make this a little more girly. Adding the ruffles at the bottom definitely helped with that though, even if they don't really match. Best of all, the big girl LOVED it! Success. She wore it to school this morning over jeans. It's totally her style, a little kooky. I'm going to try to get to the thrift store today for supplies to make a few more.

6 comments:

  1. Brilliant! This worked so well; I'm itching to make some too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am in love with this! i have been a little afraid of knit also after i had some bad luck! i think i might try one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love it!!! I really love how you combined so many prints together. It's SO cool -- great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is sooo awesome! I love the batman/frilly floral combo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I'm horrible at sewing knits... this makes me want to give it a try again.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are always, always welcome. Just know that I appreciate each and every one of you even if I don't always have the chance to respond.